Saturday, February 16, 2008

The home stretch: finishing off a fantastic day

Josh Korr spoke for a bit, and of course he talked about blogging. I think the real point was to try and get a student's real perspective on what's going on. The main catch was this was supposed to all be in real time. (That's why, you may have noticed, my tense tends to fluctuate. Sorry!)

Korr gave examples of our different blogs. He used one of mine. Of course I was upset, but I guess it's my fault for signing up for this crazy thing. I keep forgetting that people are actually seeing what I write on here. I keep forgetting this, of course, because no one really comments or gives any indication that they actually looked at my posts. Then the real lesson here is to watch what you post online, because people are looking, even if it doesn't seem like it? I got too relaxed; I assumed no one would read it, so I was able to let my true writer's voice shine through. Next time I'll have to squelch it, because I'll know people are reading.

Other than dying a little inside at one of my posts being discussed in front of a hundred and seventy-something people, this was a pretty fun day. After getting used to using a laptop, it wasn't that bad. And most importantly, although my posts pale in comparison to the quality of everyone else's, I got some experience doing real-time reporting. Maybe next time I won't suck at it.

Bill Maxwell, the speaker from the opinions session, gave a short (cough) speech on interesting writing. "To be interesting," he said, "you have to be interested." True. He also spoke of the importance of listening, and reading. He said to look around, to write things down, and to stay on call all the time. All of this is good advice; I'm just not sure I need to hear a half an hour of it.

And now, it's over. It was fun. Exhilarating, embarrassing at times, boring at points, but overall tons of fun. If I can go again next year, I will.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DJ, your posts here are perfect. Truly. They're honest, insightful, with just enough attitude to make them interesting and real. Thanks for being willing to put yourself out there like this. I really appreciate it, and it added so much to the day. So Thank You!!